Summer is the perfect time to enjoy the great outdoors, but it’s also a time to take care of your home. Regular home maintenance ensures that your property remains in good condition and can prevent costly repairs down the line. Here’s a summer home maintenance checklist to help you stay on top of your home’s upkeep:
- Inspect your roof: Check your roof for any damage or leaks. Summer storms and heavy rains can cause damage to shingles and flashing, so it’s important to inspect your roof regularly.
- Clean gutters and downspouts: Gutters and downspouts can become clogged with debris such as leaves, twigs, and other debris. Cleaning them out regularly ensures that water flows freely and does not damage your home’s foundation.
- Test your air conditioning: With the heat of summer, your air conditioning unit will be working hard. Test your system to ensure it’s running smoothly and replace filters as needed.
- Check outdoor lighting: Summer nights are meant to be spent outside, so ensure that your outdoor lighting is functioning correctly. Replace any burnt out bulbs and consider installing energy-efficient LED bulbs.
- Inspect windows and doors: Check your windows and doors for any cracks or gaps that could let hot air in and cool air out. Seal any gaps with weatherstripping or caulking.
- Install or replace window screens: Everyone loves the summer weather so having functioning window and door screens is a must. Install your window screens and inspect them for signs of tears or holes.
- Check your deck or patio: Summer is the perfect time to enjoy your outdoor space, but first, ensure that it’s safe. Check for any loose or rotting boards and replace them as needed. Clean and stain your deck or patio to protect it from the elements.
- Clean your grill: A summer BBQ is a must, but first, ensure that your grill is clean and functioning correctly. Replace any burnt-out burners or grates, and clean out the grease tray.
- Inspect your lawn and garden: Summer is a time when your lawn and garden are in full bloom. Inspect for any dead or diseased plants, remove weeds, and prune bushes and trees.
- Power wash your driveway and sidewalks: Before you start power washing, it’s a good idea to check these areas for any cracks and weeds. Once you have given everything a full inspection, wash away all the dirt, mold and grime that’s built up over the past year.
By following this summer home maintenance checklist, you can ensure that your home is in good condition and ready for the season. A little effort now can save you time and money in the long run, and allow you to enjoy your home to the fullest.
Hire a Local Handyman for Help
Spring and summer are busy times of the year. With all the added work of a summer maintenance checklist, you may be feeling stressed. Instead of overwhelming yourself, invest in a local handyman to help. At A&K Handyman in Belleville, we are professionals in summer maintenance projects and will gladly help you get your home into shape. We offer affordable rates, high-quality services, and fast turn around times.